Next Meeting Nov 5th. MFGA will be having a club raffle for a Uberti 22 Silver Boy. Tickets at meetings. Proceeds to IWK.
Pic of the Month
Moncton Fish & Game Association
Welcome to our new web portal! We will be bringing you information that you need to know about our Association; the benefits of joining, how to join, special events and much more!
- • The Moncton Fish & Game Association Inc (MFGA) was established in 1924 and formally incorporated in 1981.
- • One of the longest serving fish and game associations in New Brunswick, we have an impressive history. Originally created as a lobby group for hunters and anglers rights, we have evolved into an incorporated not-for-profit organization that serves its membership and assists other groups in outdoor recreational pursuits through sponsorships and donations in Greater Moncton.
- • Anglers, hunters, recreational target shooters, and many other like minded individuals benefit and are able to participate in outdoor sports and activities.
- • The MFGA supports several conservation and outdoor pursuits and also operates (for its members) an outdoor provincially approved rifle and pistol range.
- • A Sportsman’s Dinner is held each November and it is the major fund-raising activity that allows the association to operate and support these many worthwhile initiatives.
- • We encourage our members to check out our Sponsors page and to support the businesses who support the MFGA.
- • Don't forget that we are always looking for content for our Tips and Techniques and photos for our Gallery.
The MFGA recently sent an Annual Report for 2016 to the NB Wildlife Federation. You will see that we had a good year indeed.
AdvocacyFrom time to time the Moncton Fish and Game Association will, at monthly meetings, vote on various motions or resolutions that are related to wildlife conservation, hunting, angling, or recreational shooting. We feel that it is important for viewers to be aware of our current positions as voted by the membership. The following are two topics that are topical at the moment.
Forest Herbicide SprayingThe MFGA supports the elimination of forestry herbicide spraying on Crown and Public Lands in the Province of NB due to its potential impact on habitat ex. browse areas that are important rearing areas for deer. In December of 2015 our president sent a letter and received a response from the Deputy Minister of Natural Resources. We voted on and submitted a Resolution to the New Brunswick Wildlife Federation.
Lead in Hunting AmmunitionIn 2015, Dr. Helene Van Doninck DVM gave a presentation to the MFGA on the impacts of lead on various wildlife species. Her area of special interest is lead poisoning in raptors. The MFGA voted at a monthly meeting to endorse the concept of a voluntary reduction of the use of lead in hunting ammunition. The voluntary actions of individual hunters will help to reduce impacts on wildlife, such as raptors, and also any potential human impacts from the consumption of wild game. This is very much an emerging topic in the hunting and fishing community. In 2009 a Scientific conference was held on "The Ingestion of Spent Lead Ammunition: Implications for Wildlife and Humans". We invite viewers to scroll down the conference page to find the proceedings and individual scientific papers presented at the conference and form their own opinions.
One of our MFGA members compiled a Lead Review Document with a sampling of current information in support of the MFGA resolution presented to the NBWF.