It all started when…
As best as can be determined, the Moncton Fish and Game Protective Association was formed in 1924 and became affiliated with the New Brunswick Fish and Game Protective Association that same year. "Protective" was used by many groups in the 1920's and 1930's including beef, dairy, export and trade associations. In the 1960's the the word protective was removed when the Canadian Wildlife Federation changed its name, and the New Brunswick Wildlife Federation (NBWF) and Moncton Fish and Game Association (MFGA) followed suit.
A search of local newspapers resulted in some interesting notations. In 1939 the Moncton group were involved with a project to introduce Hungarian (Grey) Partridge to South East New Brunswick. Interestingly, Grey partridge were introduced across North America in the early 1900's and many field guides still indicate a small pocket of Grey Partridge in SE New Brunswick. In 1940 and 1941 the MFGA along with the IODE hosted film evenings for Royal Canadian Air Force trainees stationed in Moncton. Throughout the 1950's to 1970's the club delivered Safe Fisherman courses and Junior Hunter Safety courses.
Of special note, in 1980 the MFGA sponsored a resolution to the NB Wildlife Federation to permanently open the gates on the Petitcodiac River Causeway (in 2020 a new bridge will be opened), and also in 1980, the MFGA introduced a resolution for Canada to continue negotiations with the USA on an Acid Rain Reduction Agreement because of impacts on fish habitat. 1981 marked the groups formal incorporation.
Today the MFGA is still active in the community by supporting: Camp Centennial in their efforts to provide youth with an outdoor day camp experience; the Atlantic Wildlife Institute in rehabilitating wildlife; the Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in eagle and raptor rehabilitation; and the Petitcodiac and Kennebecasis watershed groups involved with fish habitat remediation. The association has also adopted a position against the use of glyphosate on Crown Land forestry production, and the voluntary reduction in the use of lead ammunition in large game hunting.